- This class has passed.
Metal Clay 2: Rings with Attitude
February 2 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Make pure silver rings with basic tools by forming metal clay and firing it in a kiln or with a torch. With a simple home set up, you can make stacking rings, wide band rings, textured rings and rings with stones set in place.
This workshop will focus on metal clay fabrication and sizing techniques for rings. Learn how to accommodate shrinkage, prepare tools, add textures and design, attach decorative center piece and apply decorative elements. Dry, firing and polishing methods will also be discussed.
Projects include two rings. The first design will be a wide band ring topped with decorative center piece. The second a narrow band ring enhanced with a 4 mm facetted stone.
- Measuring ring size
- Adjusting ring size to accommodate shrinkage of metal clay
- Making wide and narrow band rings
- Creating surface textures
- Designing, fabricating, and attaching the ring’s focal center
- Designing and attaching decorative elements
- Setting and firing in place stones
- Sanding and smoothing rings
- Firing methods for rings
- Polishing and finishing rings