- This class has passed.
Metal Clay 2: Chains and Connections
June 16 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
This is an on-line class and meets 1 day a week for 4 weeks, three hours each session. Classes begin on June 16 and end on July 7.
Continue to explore the versatility of metal clay. In this advanced workshop move beyond the basics and learn a variety of connection techniques to form chain and movement in your work. Students will create small individual decorative elements that will linked together allowing for free-flowing movement of each piece. During class three pairs of earrings will be crafted each teaching a different method of connecting links of silver metal clay. These skills can then translate into more extensive projects of bracelet or neck chains. Topics covered include:
- Create metal clay pieces to be used as links for chains and other connections
- Design connections that link piece to allow free flowing movement
- Engineer custom made metal clay jump ring connections
- Create rivets of metal clay and sterling wire. Attached rivets to links prior to firing
- Interlace links of metal clay prior to firing
- Firing links with a torch or kiln to avoid melting attached components
- Create earring posts with metal clay and wire.
- Create ear wires with Sterling Silver wire
All projects are fireable with a butane torch. Safety procedure and instructions for firing will be reviewed during class